The Beijing Municipal Government has established a scholarship fund for foreign students and scholars in Beijing, the first of its kind to be offered by a city government in China.The initial fund of the scholarship is 35 million yuan (US$5 million) from the Beijing Municipal Education Commission. The scholarship is classified into three categories with the highest at 40,000 yuan (US$5,700) for each recipient. The scholarship is provided by the government, but individuals, companies and organizations are encouraged to contribute to the scholarship fund in the future. The aim of the scholarship is to attract more foreign students to study in Beijing so as to promote the internationalization of Beijing's higher education.
2. Application procedures, timing
1) Application procedures
2) Application timing
All application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February.
1) Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health.
2) Educational background and age limit
3) Requirement for applicant’s language proficiency
Requirements for the applicant’s language proficiency is based on the requirement of the academic programs and determined by the individual higher learning institution.
4) An applicant who receives financial support from other Chinese government scholarship programs or organizations/agencies are not eligible for the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students
4. Scholarship Rates
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students only covers tuition fees. According to the applicants' status, the allowance for scholarship students can be classified into 5 types:
5. Application documents (completed in English or Chinese)
Applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly and correctly.
Whether the applicants are admitted or not application documents will not be returned.
6. Selection of Institutions and Specialties
Applicants may choose institutions and specialties from the Chinese institutions of higher education in the Beijing region. Please check the details or submit the application forms to the institutions directly.
7. Approval and Notification
1)The institutions of higher education in Beijing will review all the application materials and the application materials of qualified applicants for the scholarship will be forwarded to the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students to make a further review.
2) The institutions will send the Scholarship Letter, the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China to the applicants who will be officially confirmed as Scholarship students three months before the opening of the new academic year.
3) The application will be seen as invalid and will not be processed if the applicants are not qualified or the application materials are inconsistent with the recruitment regulations or are incomplete.
4) Each year the schools will review the academic performance of each scholarship recipient. The scholarship recipient would disqualify for the scholarship if he or she violates Chinese law and regulations, violates the school rules or the relevant rules and guidelines of the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students.
After students finish study, institutions will conduct a comprehensive review on each student, and then send the report to the Leadership Group for Establishing the Scholarship Program for International Students to put on record.
8. Visa Applications and Registration in China
1) Visa Application
Students under the Beijing Government Scholarship Program should apply for a visa to study in China at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General with the original documents and one set of photocopies of the Admission Notice, Visa Application for Study in China and Physical Examination Form for Foreigners, and a valid ordinary passport.
Scholarship students who are going to stay in China for more than 6 months will need to apply for an "X" visa, while those who will stay less than 6 months will need to apply for an "F" visa. The scholarship students must enter China with the original copies of the above documents. A person coming to China with other types of passports, visas or without the original documents will not be able to register with the institution.
International students must arrive at and formally register in the institution at the time specified in the Admission Notice. If the rate of the scholarship cannot meet the tuition fee, students need to pay the difference.
Those who are unable to register before the specified time must ask for permission from the institution directly. Those who fail to register without the prior consent of the institution will be considered as voluntarily giving up their enrollment, and the scholarship will automatically be withdrawn. Those who arrive in Beijing before the scholarship program begins shall bear all the expenses incurred.
9. Contact Details
Contacts of the Leadership Group for Establishing the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students